Saturday, April 21, 2012

Author Spotlight: Diantha Jones

Diantha Jones

Books




Links


Interview


1.  Please tell the readers a bit more about you.
I was born the day thousands of turkeys sacrificed their lives to fill millions of American bellies on November 22, 1984 which also happened to be Thanksgiving Day (My mother says I owe her a turkey). Sad to say, I’ve trashed more stories than I’ve shared. I’m one of those writers that won’t let anyone read something I’m not proud of. It’s just not happening. I’m sure my fellow authors/writers out there would agree. But I think it had more to do with not knowing who I was or what I really wanted out of life.

But I do now.

Writing is BOSS. I’ve been writing everyday for the past few years without fail. Even if it’s just a few paragraphs. It’s a PASSION, something I can’t live without. And I have so many ideas crawling around in my head that I just have to do something with them! I’ve chosen to share them with all of you.
           
2.   What types of books do you write?
            I mostly write YA Fantasy Fiction, but I dibble and dabble in Adult Paranormal Romance, too.

3.  Who's your main audience?
            Teens and young adults who crave the feeling they get when their imaginations are taken to new heights.

4.  When it comes to writing- what are your strong points? What are your weaknesses?
            I’m a true visualist when it comes to writing. I can see a scene unfold like it’s really happening in front of me. I also have a knack for creating characters. They’re always distinct and memorable and always know their purpose (inside the story). On the flip side, I’m impatient. It’s one of my worst flaws in general. But when it comes to putting my work out there, I tend to rush things. But I’m working on that.

5.  What do you think of this term- Writer's Block? How do you overcome it?
            Writer’s Block is very real and comes in many forms. I encounter it more than I would like. More times than not, the writing task ahead seems so daunting that the weight of it will cause me to get lost in the details. At that point, I just pull back, probably work on a different project, then come back to it when I feel ready to take on the challenge.

6.  How many books have you written?
            I’ve written eleven books so far, with many more in the queue.

7.  How many are published?
            Three, to date. Four more are set for release this year.

8.  Are you self published or traditionally published?
            Self-published. It’s hard work, but it’s gratifying hard work.

9.  What's the hardest part of the writing process for you?
            The hardest part for me is simply getting my ideas from my head to paper (or word processor). I have ideas galore, but turning them into a story is no small feat. However, once I get started, there really is no stopping me.

10.  What type of books do you enjoy reading?
            I LOVE fantasy/paranormal books (books about dragons or vampires are my faves). But I’m not adverse to romance, although if it gets too sappy, you’ll lose me. Not a big fan of sci-fi but I will read it if coerced.

11.  Who's your favorite Author?
            Pretty impossible question to answer. I have a bunch of favorites, but pinning one down as the ultimate fave is just not happening.

12.  What's your all time favorite book?
            Anyone who knows me and my reading habits, knows I don’t read books twice. I’ve read good books, I’ve read bad books. But one time is good enough for me. That being said, I don’t have a favorite book. Just a bunch of great ones that I was lucky to come across.

13.  How long does it take you to write a book?
            Took two years for my first novel, but honestly, it depends on the book: how long I want it to be, the topic, and whether it’s in a series or not.

14.  Out of all of your characters, which is your favorite? Why?
            The heroine in my new novel, Prophecy of the Most Beautiful, is named Chloe Clever. I adore her. Not only is she quirky and flippant, she is bold and to the point.  She loves her family above all and when it comes to them, she’s not the one you want to mess with. Basically, Chloe Clever is me.

15.  What is one of the most surprising things you've learned as a writer?
            That writing a book is HARD. It’s the hardest thing I’ve ever done or will probably ever do (besides be a mother, if I’m ever so blessed).  But I love it, and I’m going to write until my eyes, my fingers, or my heart gives out.

16.  What does your family think of your writing?
            They love it and totally support me, extended family included. I love them with all my heart.

17.  What does your writing schedule look like? 
            I write everyday without fail, even if it’s just a paragraph. That paragraph could be THE paragraph that channels my book to greatness. So I seize every second I can and jot down whatever comes to mind. It’s proved to be totally worth it so far.

18.  Do you manage to write every day?
            Like I said before, everyday without fail. Sometimes it’s just a blog post. But I get it done.

19.  What's the latest news you'd like to share?
            I’d like to say that my first month’s book sales were great for a lil’ ol’ Indie author like myself. Thanks to all who supported me!

20.  Do you have any advice for new writers?
            Characters and their interaction with each other (dialogue in particular) are BOSS. If readers hate your characters, they will hate your book. Guaranteed.

1 comment:

Siar said...

The words in your blog are full of passion, I can feel them.

flippingbook maker

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...