Saturday, May 5, 2012

Author Spotlight featuring Rebecca Bloomer

Rebecca Bloomer




Books


Foley Russel and That Poor Girl
Willow Farrington Bites Back
Mae-be Roses




Book Review (Coming Soon)



Links


Twitter: RebBloomer
                                                                       OR www.anphobos.com



Interview


 
1. Please tell the readers a bit more about you.

I’m an experience-aholic.  If there is something new to be seen, done, tasted or tested, I’m the girl who will do it.  I’ve always been lucky enough to have an extraordinary life.  My parents moved a lot when I was a kid, which I didn’t think was a blessing at the time.  Nowadays, I find I have a stack of experiences and locations to feed my books that I would never have, had I not had my weird childhood.  As an adult (with my poor children) I continue to travel to different places and meeting different people, most of which end up in my books one way or another.

2.  What types of books do you write?

I write books that rail against normal.  None of my characters are comfortable with the concept of being like everyone else.  They’re not always happy with the way the world works and generally they're trying to fit what they believe into what is ‘true’.

Because of this my first three YA books were narrative non-fiction.  My latest book, ‘UnEarthed’, is science-fiction and I’m really loving the freedom writing in this genre offers.

3.  Who's your main audience?

Young adults and tweens (kids between the ages of 10 &14)

4.  When it comes to writing- what are your strong points? What are your weaknesses?

I’m absolutely a character driven writer.  My characters spring into my head fully formed and full of attitude.  I spend lots of time ‘interviewing’ them in order to do them justice in my books. 

On the other hand, I find plotting to be difficult.  It’s less intuitive for me, so I spend a lot more time working over plot details and organizing an ‘order of events’ for every book; just so I’m sure it works the way I want.

5.  What do you think of this term- Writer's Block? How do you overcome it?

Writers block usually only occurs when the plan isn’t good enough, when a writer has started work on a book without giving it enough time to be properly formed.  Then they find they don’t know what to do next.  It’s not writer’s block, it’s ‘writer’s procrastination’.  The best cure for writers block is a better plan.

6.  How many books have you written?

I’ve written seven YA books and before that five romances.

7.  How many are published?

Four of the seven YA books have been published, two others are scheduled for publication, soonish.  All the romances were published.

8.   Are you self published or traditionally published?

I like to say I’m Indie published.  That means I have a publisher like a traditionally published writer, but they’re smaller than the big houses and we work together in a non-traditional author-publisher way!

9.    What's the hardest part of the writing process for you?

Starting a new book is always scary.  In my head the plot is perfect, the characters glow and brilliant pieces of dialogue make me smile every time.  Living up to that kind of perfection is serious pressure.

10. What type of books do you enjoy reading?

I read absolutely everything and it’s rare I can’t find something to like in a book I’ve read.  I read a lot of YA, sci-fi, fantasy and paranormal.  I also enjoy literary fiction and the classics.  I think the trick to being a good writer is to have a very big tool box and you don’t get that by being a narrow reader.
 
11. Who's your favorite Author?

I love Maria V Snyder, Tamora Pierce, Patrick Ness, Markus Zusak, Joanne Harris, Margaret Atwood and Ernest Hemingway.

12. What's your all time favorite book?

To Kill A Mockingbird (Harper Lee)

13.  How long does it take you to write a book?

Usually two or three months for the first draft.  That’s when I’m just writing as fast as I can to keep the story from leaving my head.  After that it’s all about the fixing up

14.  Out of all of your characters, which is your favorite? Why?

The last one I wrote…because they fill my head, expand my spirit and lift me into a new world with them.

15.What is one of the most surprising things you've learned as a writer?

The difference an editor can make (if they’re good at their job) and that they really are there to help you, not just to attack you.

16. What does your family think of your writing?

They wished it made more money for us, but otherwise, they’re proud of me.

17. What does your writing schedule look like?

Whenever possible…write!

18.  Do you manage to write every day?

If I’m in the midst of a book, yes, every single day.  If I’m between books and working up to starting a new one…nope…I procrastinate like mad.

19.  What's the latest news you'd like to share?


20.  Do you have any advice for new writers?

Never give up, never give up, never give up.



Thank you Rebecca for your time. I've enjoyed having you here with us today. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...