Saturday, June 23, 2012

Author Spotlight featuring Venus Angelica Perez

Venus Angelica Perez


Books
Mentality Listens

A Christian Mafia - Book One - The Medallion> to be released in October 2012.

Cover to be released in July.

Biography



Venus Angelica Perez grew up in Bensonhurst, New York. She moved to suffolk county, LI and a few years later, joined the United States Marine Corps. She was honorably discharged in 2003 due to her physical ailments and was granted disability from Veteran’s Affairs. She is now a disabled veteran who copes with her pain through different forms of art to include writing, painting, photography, and poetry.

Her first book, Mentality Listens, is a compilation of her own poetry that was written throughout the years while she struggled through her most painful days, hours, minutes, and even seconds of her life. It is unlike any poetry that’s out there on the market or has ever been on the market for poetry. It is truly a book geared towards those who are struggling or know someone who is struggling with physical, emotional, mental, or spiritual pain. She is in the process of publishing her first Novel, The Medallion, which is part of a Trilogy series called, “A Christian Mafia.” It will be available in October of 2012.






Book Review (Coming Soon)

Links

Author Site
http://BlessedBklynite.com

Twitter Site
http://www.twitter.com/BlessedBklynite

 Book Site
http://MentalityListens.wordpress.com

Interview

1. Please tell the readers a bit more about you.

Well, lets see...I am a former Marine (once a Marine, always a Marine) and a disabled veteran. I have two cats, Sebastian and Lucy. They tend to act like two little toddlers at times. I have been married for 10 years. We have no children, although I think of my cats as my kids. Fun Fact: I am very short, exactly five feet tall.

2. What types of books do you write?

I write Christian Fiction and poetry but my writing is not limited to those two categories. I plan on writing non-fiction as well. Really, I write whatever God lays on my heart to write.

3. Who's your main audience?

I definitely think that Veterans and Disabled Veterans are my main audience for my poetry. For the fiction that I write, it is truly hard to say. I have a book coming out that has to do with the Mafia. You can categorize it as a Thriller and as a Christian Fiction novel as well. It is sort of in between both worlds so it’s going to be interesting to see who would be my main audience for that particular subject.

4. When it comes to writing- what are your strong points? What are your weaknesses?

I am able to focus completely on one character at a time and on the situation rather than on the writing itself. I think this draws the reader in by not getting caught up in the words or the writing, but instead they submerge themselves into the story that’s being told.

My weakness is my disability. I live in chronic pain due to several physical ailments. This makes it very difficult to write for as long as I demand of myself. Instead, my pain tells me when I’m done, not my brain. It is definitely frustrating at times, but also a blessing because it allows me to draw my attention to other forms of art.

5. What do you think of this term- Writer's Block? How do you
overcome it?

A few years ago, I thought of a huge block being placed in front of me, like a building that was blocking me from what I knew was in my head. I just couldn’t figure out a way to get my ideas from one side of the building to the other. I thought a lot about that term, especially after my first back surgery. I overcame writers block by what I said before...I thought about it. I thought about writing for hours and hours, that’s all I did as I was physically recuperating. I was unable to write, but through patience, prayer, and with God’s help, I was able to focus on getting those ideas out of my head and onto some paper.

6. How long did it take for you to start writing again?

It took about three years for me to be comfortable enough to trust myself with a pen and a piece of paper. I remember I was journaling at the time and started writing poems in my journals. Then I started writing some short stories, but never finished them. Finally I heard
about NanoWrimo (this was last year). I ended up writing The Medallion in one month.

7. How many books have you written?

Currently, I would have to say two that are complete at this point. I wrote lots of short stories but they were lost after my computer decided to surprise us with the ultimate blue screen of death.

8. How many are published?

I currently have one book published at this time, Mentality Listens.

9. Are you self published or traditionally published?

I am currently self published. I am still thinking about traditional publishing, especially for my Novel, but I’m not sure yet what route to take. I guess you can say I’m being patient and waiting on direction from God.

10. What's the hardest part of the writing process for you?

The hardest part for me is having to go through the physical pain of writing, but even after that, the second draft is something that I have to force myself to do. The third draft is not that bad.

11. What type of books do you enjoy reading?

I enjoy reading Thriller and suspense novels. I also like Stephen King’s old novels like The Green Mile and A Girl who loved Tom Gordon. My favorite would be the Gunslinger series. I read that over and over and I’m about to read through them again which is most likely my fifth time reading it.

12. Who's your favorite Author?

I would definitely have to say Stephen King. I don’t think of his books to be categorized into the horror section, well, not always. The last book I read of his was Under the Dome, but I haven’t finished it.

13. What's your all time favorite book?

The Gunslinger series. I can’t just pick one, I love them all.

14. How long does it take you to write a book?

To actually write the entire first draft, if I have it all planned out in my head, I would say a month to two months. But the second draft is the worst. That takes me the longest, like five to six months because I procrastinate.

15. Out of all of your characters, which is your favorite? Why?

I would say James because he has such amazing eyes and they are so powerful, but at the same time, so peaceful. I think you can tell a lot about a person by just looking into their eyes. He is also very wise and humble.

16. What is one of the most surprising things you've learned as a
writer?

I’ve learned that the Characters pretty much choose their own personalities as the story progresses. You plan on writing a character one way, and all of a sudden the characters are writing themselves into the story. It’s amazing how that happens. I think when that does happen, it is very important to keep those particular characters in the story. A lot of times we tend to take those out because they didn’t turn out the way we wanted them to.

17. What does your family think of your writing?

I asked my husband this question and this is how he answered it:

You can tell that you have a gift of writing. Specifically expressing yourself through poetry or in a story. It's intriguing to see how much of yourself you are able to put into your writing. I witnessed people relating to you in a level I could not because they experienced what you were expressing through your words. Your pain. That is also another way I can tell that your writing is a gift from God, by how it has reached many where they are, which allows them to gain this comfort in knowing that they are not alone.

I am actually looking forward to reading your Trilogy not just because I know that the story is going to be great, but so I can learn more about you and how you saw brooklyn when you were growing up there.

My mother is proud of me and shows my book to everyone. I think she keeps a copy in her purse.

18. What does your writing schedule look like?

Well, I like to write when everyone is asleep and it is quiet and peaceful. I write at night. I love writing when it is just me and my cats (Sebastian and Lucy).

19. Do you manage to write every day?

No, but that is my goal. I try to write five times a week. I usually write three nights a week. I’m definitely working on it...Lol.

20. What's the latest news you'd like to share?

My novel, The Medallion, is in the process of getting published. It is about an eighteen year old Atheist girl who’s been called by God to share the gospel to the boss of the Italian Mafia. It is part of a trilogy series. I will begin writing book two during NanoWrimo (National Novel Writing Month - November).

21. Do you have any advice for new writers?

Yes, just one thing. NEVER stop writing! Don’t let anything stop you from putting words on that paper, even if it is a paper in your head and you are physically unable to write. Continue to write until you are able again. Don’t give up. Just tell yourself giving up is not an option.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...